Friday, March 7, 2008

Drinking

Drinking is something I don't do and this is my confession.
So, not to long ago I told my Girlfriend and my Best friend the reason why I don't like most alcoholic drinks. I don't like them, because I don't want to like them. Everything I try I will immediately tell myself, I don't like it. Its something I have done for a very long time. I like to think of myself as a very open minded person. But, this is the one thing I stay kind of closed minded about. Its not that drinking bothers me, I couldn't care less if you get a drink while I'm around. Getting completely wasted might bother me. But go ahead and drink.
The reason I don't like to drink, is because I have known people who are drunks, I have been around people who are drunk, now when I say drunk I don't mean "heehee, I have a little buzz" I mean, "I LOVE YOU MAN!" drunk. Now, it may be funny, in fact it is funny. But thats not something I want for myself. I don't want to get drunk. I don't want to risk, becoming addicted. I don't wanna be the guy who thinks he's ok to drive and ends up wrapping his truck around a tree, or worse. I don't want to drink, and forget moments in my life. I'm only here for a little while and I don't wanna be so hammered I black out moments. I don't want my kids to have to grow up with a drunk. I don't want to make an idiot of myself. Believe me, I have seen my share of people making idiots of themselves, because they are drunk. I am a klutz I make an idiot of myself often enough as it is, I don't need to make it worse.
I don't need anything to "calm my nerves" I'm man enough to face things sober. Or heck not face them at all.
I don't know a lot about my fathers side of the family, heck I don't know to much about my father. So, maybe there is always a chance alcoholism could be in my family. And thats not a chance I'm willing to take. My future and my future family are to important to risk for some "good times".
Now, again I'm not saying that drinking is bad. Most people drink and are responsible about it. So if we go out, and you want a drink go ahead and drink away, I will happily sip on my iced tea.

So there you go, the reason you probably won't see my order a drink. You know what though, I will happily try a drink if you offer a taste. I may like it, I may not. But know you know what the odds are.


----------------
Now playing: Killswitch Engage - Unbroken
via FoxyTunes

No comments: